Thursday, January 29, 2009

Are You My Mother?

When my son Brandon was a toddler, he had a favorite book for a while. It was the Dr. Suess classic, "Are You My Mother."

He wanted me to read it over and over again. I got so sick of it that one afternoon I "misplaced" the book in the closet. It was put right next to the popcorn vacuum like toy that his grandma gave him. (those things are so loud! with three kids 3 and under I could only take so much noise. . .)

Little Boy D, the newest edition to our family, walked up to me the other day and calmly asked,

"Are you my mommy?"

I looked at him and replied, "Yes, when you live with me I am your mommy."

He had a little smile and he walked away so I guess I said the right thing this time.

Oh, he still feels more comfortable calling me Susan with a drawn out "A", from a bit of a Filipino accent acquired from his last foster mom, but he knows who I am.

~Susan

For where your treasure is,
there will be your heart also.

Luke 12:24

4 comments:

D said...

Susan, are you aware that this not so nice person is using foster & adoption blog posts on her blog to slam foster care and adoptions? Thought you'd like to see what she did with this post of yours.
Go to: http://www.legallykidnapped.blogspot.com/
and scroll til you see your post.
It's fine for her/him to have their own opinions, but not to use other's blog for their nasty gain.

Az_foster_mommy said...

Oh my goodness. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you a thousand times over for your blogs. I am about to lose my first foster baby back to his bio parents, and while I know this can be a good thing for him, my husband and I are going to miss him terribly. Going back and reading your older posts made me smile, which I really needed; and the poem you wrote is exactly how I feel right now. Please keep blogging as it is nice to know others are going through the same things too.

Susan said...

TO D,

Thanks for agreeing with my take on this person. It is sad. I have noticed that she not once has posted or commented on anything positive in a foster mom's blog. I thought of stopping my blog many times, but like "legally kidnapped" will now moderate posts.

The system has problems, as all systems do, but who will take care of the children who have been abused and neglected and have no family to take them in?

I am not trying to take anyone's child - I am just trying to take care of anyone's child. A big difference. (and share some of the heartache, and sometimes joys, along the way.)

Susan said...

Dear AZ Foster Mommy,

I am so sad for the pain and sadness that you are going through. We may be there again ourselves in a few months, and just the thought makes me feel as if my heart will break.

Just two days before I read your comment I told one of my daughters that I wanted to stop blogging on foster care - it is too painful.

But if my blog has helped you a little then I am blessed to know. I will try to keep blogging. ;-)

I haven't even blogged about my newest (adorable!), that I really hope can return to his mom. (first time I really have felt this way and this is the time the county may terminate. :-(

Right now, I must go. My two foster babies will be waking soon. After all, they have been asleep since 4:00 AM!

See you soon,
Susan